3.28.2009

More from fans

In my inbox:

I don’t understand all the people that are obsessing over Steph’s decision. I would love to ask all those people that are so concerned about what Steph is going to do if they had tons of people stressing about which job offer they accepted coming out of Davidson. I know it’s not totally apples to apples but you get my drift. The way I see it is that if he comes back I will be elated but I will know that it is what HE decided is best for him and the fact that it may also be great for Davidson’s basketball program and fans is just a bonus. On the other hand, if he decides to go to the NBA, I would be happy about that as well and if I had the opportunity to speak to him after that decision I would wish him luck and thank him for every thing he’s done for my alma mater. I mean, how could you not just sit back and want what’s best for him …

5 comments:

Gavin Taylor said...

I don't think this guy is being fair; nobody's "obsessing" because we think there's a "right" decision, or because we think we know better than Steph. It's his choice. I'll root for him wherever he goes.

But wouldn't it be AWESOME if he came back?

Mike McCabe said...

Some people talk as if there is only one "right" thing for Stephen to do... to come back. I don't have a problem with the "will he or won't he" attitude, but the moralizing of it sometimes gets under my skin.

Will Bryan said...

Mike,
The moralizing might not explicitly stem from this, but it is very implicitly connected in my mind: If Steph doesn't graduate, then he's not the greatest Davidson basketball player of all time.

That statement isn't an emotional rant of moral grandstanding. That statement is a calculated decision to Davidson College not to retire the jersey of someone who leaves early and not to allow them into the Hall of Fame. The school stance would practically turn Steph and everything he did...all the memories, all the records, into a Barry Bonds-esque asterisk. A yes, he did all of that, but we can't fully celebrate it because he didn't graduate and hes not allowed into our hallowed halls of sports history.

People bring up moral arguments because they are almost bound to. It is almost criminal to have to treat Steph like an asterisk from a legacy standpoint. Yet that's what my happen.

DrFrankLives said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DrFrankLives said...

Right Will, and if he leaves and that doesn't happen, then Davidson College owes Mike Maloy one hell of an apology